Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Team USA!

Like many USA fans, I am looking at this knockout round bracket and thinking, holy cow we can get to the semifinals! I haven't been super impressed with Ghana. They have only scored two goals in three games, and both of those were penalty kicks! Awaiting the winner of USA vs. Ghana is South Korea or Uruguay - both beatable teams. I think this is the best USA team ever - better than 2002. Donovan and Michael Bradley have been awesome - they have carried the team so far. I have been a Donovan fan since his 20-year-old debut in 2002, and I don't understand why EPL or La Liga teams haven't come after him. I think he's a much better player than Dempsey (who I also like), who has proven to be a good EPL player with Fulham. Altidore has had some excellent moments in the tournament so far - he's due for a goal, and I think he is going to have a great career somewhere in Europe. Our defense is getting better and better - Bocanegra and Demerit have been solid, and Cherundolo is so valuable with his runs up the wing. I think Gooch is probable just worn out a bit, but I'd like to see him back in the starting lineup for Ghana. Edu has not been spectacular, but he's a good defensive midfielder, and I'd like to see him start again against Ghana (and be subbed by Feilhaber). I don't think Findley, Gomez, or Buddle have the skill to create goals at this level - they are more of the right-place at right-time time scorers, but I think Bradley has to start Findley (who is fresh from sitting out against Algeria with 2 yellows) up front with Altidore to take some of the pressure off Altidore, who probably is going to be a little tired against Ghana going on just 2 days rest (and coming off a stomach bug, apparently). Oh, and Tim Howard is one of the top 4 goalies in the world (he might want to consider a career in the NFL - he had some great long distance tosses today, including the one that sprang the winner in stoppage time!)

Donovan's goal today was incredibly huge not just for team USA but for soccer in America. They showed the world how exciting and dramatic the beautiful game can be, and it is so nice that the horrible officiating luck (goal 3 against Slovenia and Dempsey's disalllowed goal against Algeria today) amounts to nothing: we won the group! And we got placed in the nicest, coziest corner of the round of 16 bracket!

3 comments:

  1. Donovan for president, Tim Howard for vice-president, and Bill Clinton to support them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post! Finally I am hearing conversations about the world cup while out and about. I was starting to think I was one of like 7 people in L.A. watching. All I know is that the taverns & sports bars are EMPTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo John!! Told it like it is!

    ReplyDelete