Friday, June 25, 2010

Final group stage standings

I was quite happy to see both Spain and Chile advance this afternoon. The best teams advanced out of Group H (and out of pretty much every group, I think), and thank goodness we don't have to watch the Swiss play another ugly soccer game! Here are the final standings from the group stage (with bonus points in parentheses):

John (9): 38
Giovanni (10): 37
Carla (10), Corinne (10): 35
Joseph (8): 34
David (8): 33
Kit (11): 32
Phil (9), Hallie (6), Tom (6): 31
Chris (10), Dean (8): 29
Jeremy (8), Cara (8), Taylor (9): 28
Paul (8): 27
Ali (7): 26
Alex (7): 25

Congratulations to Kit for earning the most bonus points - 11! Our scores suck compared to how we did in 2006. Using the same scoring system, here's how we stacked up after group play in 2006:

Kit (46)
Carla (45)
Chris (43), Ali (43), Phil (43)
Corinne (41), Joseph (41)
John (40), Dean (40)
David (39)
Cara (38)
Dale (37)
Hallie (36)
Jeremy (35), Martin (35)
Taylor (33)

What really stands to me is: a) how Jeremy and Taylor are consistently bad at picking results of group stage games, and b) how anyone can still win because Jeremy came from 13 points down to tie Kit for co-champion! I anticipate that you slackers will be submitting your picks last minute again, which means I probably won't be able to post everyone's picks before kickoff. Just so no one suspects any funny business, I've got Uruguay and USA winning tomorrow. I've watched a ridiculous amount of soccer over the past few weeks, and I think I've got this knockout round bracket nailed! Good luck to those of you trying to finish second!

No comments:

Post a Comment