Friday, June 18, 2010

England was terrible today!

I'd like to modify my "overrated" label on England (see post on May 30) to "very overrated". That was pathetic! Rooney was once again non-existent, Gerrard was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, Lampard was in his usual terrible World Cup form, and Terry looked like an amateur out there. What is going on? I'd like to give Algeria some credit, but England should be crushing these types of opponents! What's going on with the European heavyweights in general (France, Spain, England, Italy,...).

Standings through todays games:

John: 14 (0 for 3 today!)
Giovanni: 12
Corinne, Joseph: 11
Kit, Carla: 10
Phil, David, Hallie: 9
Jeremy, Chris, Alex, Tom: 8
Cara, Ali: 7
Dean, Taylor: 6
Paul: 5

I reluctantly gave Kit, Corinne, and Giovanni their point for picking the USA-Slovenia draw, despite the fact that USA scored 1 more goal than Slovenia!

Are any of y'all reading this blog? This is starting to feel like my own world cup diary, which is not at all what I had in mind. It would be great to hear from those of you watching the games!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the lack of posts from our world cup pool. I think maybe you need to pick a fight with someone. Nothing gets things moving like an unexpected public attack...all in good fun of course. I'll start one..Hey Corinne, Japan SUCKS!!!!!!!! WOW! I feel better already. On another note..england/algeria BORING! Rooney would be a potato if he were a vegetable. I swear he looks like one of those potato head dolls..except the doll would have been more effective in that game. That should get Paul going at least....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul, I hope you're a better new grandfather then a world cup predictor. Wow, I thought the English knew stuff about this sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. England is unimpressive. I expected to see more out of Rooney, just like I expected to see more out of Anelka for France.

    Favorite moments of the game:

    83 min: Lampard and Johnson combine down the right flank. Not particularly well, they just combine. Johnson gives the ball away and Algeria clear.
    88 min: Lampard tries a low shot from distance. Wide. The England crowd boo raucously.
    Oh ... and is that Wayne Rooney turning to a camera and sarcastically spitting "It's nice to hear your own fans boo ya" down the barrel? That's his first contribution of note this evening.

    ReplyDelete