Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Love Letter the the World Cup

Dear World Cup,
What I love most about you is the instant friendships you spark among your enthusiasts. I was in Nairobi and Hong Kong last week (yeah -that's how I roll) where fever for you is in full swing. At my meeting in Nairobi, I had loads to talk about with colleagues from Ghana, Nigeria, and South Africa who I had never met. We all stood around during tea breaks, grinning like idiots in anticipation of the first kick-off.

Now I'm back in Papua New Guinea where I'm sad to say your followers are frustratingly few. Not to worry - I'm moving to Haiti in a few weeks where I'm told people have their priorities straight.

I hope that this year your image will not be marred by outlandish calls by officials (..uhm...), violence (...), injuries of key players (...ahem..), or threats of power outages (...). This Cup is already historic as Africa's first and no doubt, Brasil's sixth victory.

xoxox
carla


1 comment:

  1. Wow - that is some serious traveling! You'll have to let us know what the World Cup scene in Haiti is like. David is going to be watching in Zambia, and Chris (who was in South Africa) will be watching in Kazakhstan. Unfortunately most of us will be watching in the country that is among the least enthusiastic about the World Cup!

    ReplyDelete