Sunday, May 30, 2010

England is overrated!

Apparently the Spanish midfielder Xavi, one of the best players in the world, just claimed that England was their biggest competition for the World Cup. Seriously? Would you rather play Brazil over England?! I don't understand all the hype about England. Today they just squeaked by Japan in a friendly 2-1, and Japan scored both of England's goals! Right now England's odds to win it all are 6/1, only behind Brazil (5/1) and Spain (4/1), but I would be very surprised to see England in the semifinals. They are solid defensively, but they just don't seem to have the speed or explosiveness of Spain, Brazil, Argentina, or the Netherlands. Does USA stand a chance on June 12? Yes! On paper England is superior - perhaps only Landon Donovan and Tim Howard would be good enough to make a 23-man England squad (though I would take Donovan any day over Frank Lampard!) - but USA will be fired up for this game, and all the pressure is on England. I stand by my original prediction: USA 1, England 0!

I should note that after June 12th I will start wearing my England jersey again and direct my trash-talking elsewhere. After all, I was born in the UK, and England is my second favorite team, even though they are overrated.

2 comments:

  1. You're a complicated man, Singleton. And a funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally you are admitting your blood right! Come on England, come on John, join the dark side...... you know it makes more sense... you know the USA havent got a chance in the opener!

    ReplyDelete